Display Layer and Widgets

This forum is for discussion of the System Dynamics model representation standard XMILE. Discussion here will be monitored by the Society's technical standards committee with ideas and concerns conveyed to the OASIS Technical Committee responsible for defining the standard.
Forum rules
Please note: By posting here you grant permission to the Society Technical Committee members to repost with attribution on the OASIS discussion forum. If you have material for which you wish to maintain copyright control please post a link to the copyrighted work.
Robert Eberlein
Site Admin

Display Layer and Widgets

Post by Robert Eberlein » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:29 pm

I have gone over this a bit with Karim and understand the value of having location information close to equations, but I still feel these two should be separated. Display and Widgets, on the other hand, I see no reason not to keep together. In fact I only see two layers of XMILE, equations and display. Within each layer there may be more or less functionality supported by different platforms - subscripts, macros, different functions in the equations, and text positioning, font control, different control and display widgets in the display section.

To try to keep it easy on people who want to edit directly XML files we can keep the variable names in the display information. I don't have a strong preferences as to whether these are fully namespace delimited variable names or the namespace shifts contextually based on a display name (which might match a model name) so they would essentially look the same but without the equation or comments. Again, this is a bit more verbose, but fits better with the conceptual model being used to generate the XML document and so seems more appropriate.

Along those lines everything related to display I think should go after the model equations portion of the Spec (see my comments on SMILE and XMILE).

Thomas Fiddaman

Re: Display Layer and Widgets

Post by Thomas Fiddaman » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:33 pm

I agree that display and equation information should be separate. There's potentially a many to many relationship among variables, display coordinates, and views of a model, so it doesn't make sense to specify a single location. It's not really troublesome to have the option to do so, as at present, but it shouldn't be the primary approach, especially if we want the standard to be inclusive of things like archived DYNAMO models.

Magne Myrtveit

Re: Display Layer and Widgets

Post by Magne Myrtveit » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:42 am

I too agree. Separate DTD and XSD schemas should be made for model and view. See my ever returning reference to http://www.myrtveit.com/papers/A_framew ... models.pdf, this time Figure 60, page 42:

Code: Select all

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<!DOCTYPE Document [
<!ELEMENT Document (m:Model, v:View)>
<!ENTITY % ModelDtd SYSTEM "model.dtd">
<!ENTITY % ViewDtd SYSTEM "view.dtd">
%ModelDtd;
%ViewDtd;
]>
<Document>
<m:Model/>
<v:View/>
</Document>
Here an empty model and its view are stored as a Document element containing a Model element and a View element. The View element is, in general, optional.

Best regards,
Magne