Consumption and Production Decisions

This forum is for discussion of topics related to System Dynamics. You must be logged in to post but anyone who has registered on the System Dynamics web portal may post. Note that there may be a delay of a working day or two after registering before you can post anything.
Charles Jones

Consumption and Production Decisions

Post by Charles Jones » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm

I am searching through the great SIgua search site and my old SD lit collection cd, but I wonder if the readers have any favorite examples of models that include production and consumption decisions. The specific context is a model of resilience in the Eastern Congo, a subsistence agriculture dominated economy. I need to represent people allocating their assets between different kinds of consumption, including investing in capital goods to produce more in the future. I liked the "time as an asset" discussion about a page down, but would like to keep it as aggregated as possible - village not person scale. So far I think stocks of capital, land, and labor; a simple production function, and stock of goods to be consumed. But I am interested in how others have successfully connected them through decisions.

Thank You,
Skuk Jones
Climate Interactive
Skuk Jones
Climate Interactive

Richard Dudley

Re: Consumption and Production Decisions

Post by Richard Dudley » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:35 pm

There is a special issue of Ecology and Society that might give you some ideas even though it is about semi-arid systems. The link is at:

http://www.ecologyandsociety.org/issues/view.php?sf=52

The first paper: "Anticipating Vulnerability to Climate Change in Dryland Pastoral Systems: Using Dynamic Systems Models for the Kalahari" uses the system dynamics approach.

Also using the SD paradigm: Stephens, E., Nicholson, C., Brown, D., Parsons, D., Barrett, C., Lehmann, J., Mbugua, D., Ngoze, S., Pell, A., Riha, S., 2012. “Modeling the impact of natural resource-based poverty traps on food security in Kenya: The crops, livestock and soils in smallholder economic systems (classes) model”. Food Sec. 4(3), 423-439.

Also of interest?.... if you don't already have them...
Bontkes, T.E.S., 1993. Dynamics of rural development in southern sudan. System Dynamics Review 9(1), 1-21.
Picardi, A., 1975. A systems analysis of pastoralism in the west african sahel. Dissertation. MIT.

Maybe:
BROWN, D.R., 2008. A spatiotemporal model of shifting cultivation and forest cover dynamics. Environment and Development Economics 13(05), 643-671. (Based on a very detailed spatial model of villages in Cameroon)

Send me a note if you'd like a longer list ;)

Charles Jones

Re: Consumption and Production Decisions

Post by Charles Jones » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:07 am

Thank you so much; I have seen some of these and some are new. It seems like there has been so much more work on arid systems than tropical ones - I guess not surprising seeing how closer people are to the margins in these settings
Skuk Jones
Climate Interactive