We are pleased to present the 9th Annual System Dynamics Summer School. Held prior to the Conference, the Summer School provides a unique opportunity to learn (or review) the basics of System Dynamics and get exposed to real-world applications of the method. We will record all preparation sessions for viewing.
One week prior to the start of the course, you will want to set aside to complete pre-work. This preparatory work will help you get exposure to software and systems thinking and will allow you to start watching the topic lectures so you don’t fall behind during Summer School. The actual week of the Summer School will be dedicated to live discussion of topics and assignments with faculty and teaching assistants. We will have a dedicated website for materials, homework, and Q&A. This year’s Summer School will include two different levels: introductory and intermediate. To register for the intermediate course you must demonstrate a cerain skill level by taking a test.
System Dynamics requires time to learn. Summer School is just the beginning of this rewarding learning experience. After you officially enroll or as of June 1, you will have access to:
- System Dynamics software videos on YouTube. Depending on the tool (Stella, Studio, Vensim) there may be up to 27 short videos to watch. You can go into more depth by visiting the vendor sites for more tutorials. Limited software licenses will also be available to all registered students at no cost.
- Dedicated websites by track. There you will find readings, models, schedules, assignments, Q&A, etc. You will also be able to connect to your peers by Track via the messaging system.
- Video recorded lectures. Lectures will be available after registration for viewing before the week of Summer School. The expectation is students are familiar with the content of the videos, but not that the content is fully understood and can be applied to a problem.
- Synchronous online sessions and office hours during the week of Summer School to review material, go through exercises, work on problems, answer questions, and get help with individual projects.
- System dynamics software (time limited and/or feature limited) will be provided for Macintosh and Windows computers.
It is important that you watch the pre-recorded lectures before the week of Summer School as we will be busy during the week focusing on reviewing the lectures, exercises, and solutions, demonstrating and practicing skills, and providing opportunities to work on individual projects. In watching the pre-recorded lectures, we don’t expect students to learn or master the material from the videos alone or before the week of Summer School. Instead, we expect students to have watched the videos in order to become familiar with the content so that we can draw on the content during the live sessions, you can ask questions, and when we refer back to the videos, you have a sense of what we are talking about. Based on experiences from last year, if you wait until the week of Summer School to watch the videos, you’ll likely be falling behind and have a less satisfying experience.
Duration of the Pre-Recorded Videos
Overall, we expect that there are approximately 9 hours of pre-recorded lectures (not including software and system dynamics applications videos) to watch before the week of Summer School, with 12 live sessions during the week of Summer School totaling 20 hours interacting online plus at least 20 hours offline to work on problems/exercises and your individual project.
|Beginner||8 hours 30 minutes|
|Intermediate||8 hours 30 minutes|
2022 schedule: not yet available
2021 schedule: for reference only here
July 5 – 8, 2022 – Online Sessions
Registration Opens January 20th!
Space is limited.
Join the Introductory Track Waiting List
2022 International System Dynamics Conference
Join people from all over the world in the largest conference on System Dynamics and systems thinking!
From novices to experts, participants come from businesses, universities, not-for-profits, government, consulting, the healthcare and sustainability sectors, and beyond.
“This is the real deal. Complete, detailed, didactical. The full package. Take it!”
“Great!! The two things that I thought were the best were archetypes and all the best practices.“
“This was the best class I’ve taken in years.
I feel like I got a semester’s level of knowledge in just 4 days and even after the class, I’m continuing to learn and practice using the materials provided from the previous year.
The instructors and course managers were incredibly generous with their time, reviewing assignments before class and staying long after the official sessions were over to answer questions.
Hearing from the other students from all over the world was fascinating because I got a glimpse into a variety of fields and uses of systems dynamics in those fields.
The class was so good I’ve told all my peers that they should take it too.”
“It was amazing to come to this experience and be around so many people that I would never met before in my life.”
“One thing I took home from the Summer School is the understanding that the purpose of using this methodology is not to generate models, but to generate solutions to problems.”