The Pre-College Education Special Interest Group has as a vision the infusion of systems thinking and System Dynamics modeling experiences for students ages 4 to 18 in all countries and in multiple disciplines (including science, mathematics, health, geography, economics, literature, political science, psychology, sociology, etc.). Our aim is to spread the use of systems thinking and System Dynamics lessons to enhance student understanding of systems around them and help them become better decision makers.
- Creating SplashExchange The second generation of Splash! that will allow models to demonstrate oscillating behavior. We should have a beta version available for testing in March 2021.
- National Science Foundation grant proposal to create system dynamics modeling lessons to study environmental dynamics in grade 8 science and grade 11 environmental science classes. Expect to hear the fate of our funding request in May 2021.
- Compiling a set of questions to assess systems thinking skills for students ages 5 to 22.
How to Join
System Dynamics Society members can…
- Visit https://www.systemdynamics.org/
- Sign in with your Username and password
- Click Update Contact Information
- Check your name, addresses, and other details then click Next
- On the Chapter and SIG page, check the Pre-College Education SIG box
- Click Submit
You will be added to the Pre-college Education SIG mailing list and eligible to join our regular meetings.
Currently we have 65 members of the SDS Pre-college SIG.
Getting Started with Systems Thinking and System Dynamics in K-12 education. So many resources are available at the Creative Learning Exchange including books of lessons, simulations, Splash! app, alignment of STEM and Systems Thinking/System Dynamics, useful videos explaining Behavior Over Time Graphs (BOTG), etc.
Three Online System Dynamics courses (with CE credit) that are sequential and asynchronous, each summer. Learn to build SD models. Lots of lessons and models to use in your classes. The CC Modeling Systems website also contains examples of high school students original model diagrams, technical papers, and videos, some research papers, some free lessons, alignment of SD with US national educational standards, and a video highlighting the reason to use SD analysis in the teaching of secondary school mathematics.
Examples of ST/SD work being done in early elementary school education can be found on the System Thought in Education website. Note: this website is in Turkish but text can be translated to English in a browser.